[Development] i.MX8 embedded Linux support

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Wed Sep 11 16:08:48 CEST 2019

On 11 Sep 2019, at 14:53, Zeno Endemann via Development <development at qt-project.org<mailto:development at qt-project.org>> wrote:

Hi,

So unless I misunderstand something, for the i.MX8 NXP/Vivante changed their proprietary graphic stack significantly. The framebuffer and X11 driver are deprecated, only Wayland will be supported, and they have switched from the Linux framebuffer interface to (a fork of) libdrm.

I was able to run a Qt Quick application on an i.MX8M Mini using this new infrastructure, i.e. using the regular eglfs_kms platform plugin. So I am wondering if the qtbase configure script should be adapted to detect i.MX8, and for that not build eglfs_viv, eglfs_viv_wl and eglfs_kms_egldevice anymore.

Or more generally I'd like to ask if there is already further work or information on supporting embedded Linux on i.MX8. For example, I suppose the yocto layer needs some updates to reflect all this.

This phone will use i.MX8 https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/ and I think Plasma Mobile is intended to run on it, so that may become relevant to me pretty soon since I have one on order… but I didn’t investigate the software stack much yet.  Early dev boards had an i.MX6: https://dot.kde.org/2017/09/14/plasma-mobile-and-purisms-librem-5-free-smartphone https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-progress-report-9/ and were using etnaviv with it.  I think they still are using etnaviv.  https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/07/purism-librem-5-specs-confirmed