[Development] Updating/changing "default" branch for qtbase repository

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Mon Sep 16 12:22:06 CEST 2019

Albert Astals Cid (16 September 2019 11:33) wrote:
> If i do
>   git clone ssh://myuser@codereview.qt-project.org/qt/qtbase
>
> I get branch 5.12
>
> Given that 5.12 is now on cherry-pick mode (AFAIK) would it make more sense to
> default to branch 5.13?

We have a history of setting a release branch (stable, I think; perhaps
LTS) as the default branch in our repositories.  This means that anyone
who mirrors our repositories gets that as their default branch (unless /
until they update it).  I don't see this as a good choice: getting dev
on the branches that have it would make more sense.

IIUC, the rationale for the present practice is that we want to make it
easier for folk who send us fixes.  I honestly doubt we'd suffer harm by
having fixes sent to us on dev a bit more often (and other changes, that
*do* belong on dev, being sent first to another branch would surely
happen less often); reviewers can surely help the contributor get it
onto the right branch, if there's a good reason why dev isn't good
enough.

... now, where have I met this discussion recently ?
I'm quite sure I have, but can't remember where ...

	Eddy.