[Development] Updating/changing "default" branch for qtbase repository

Frederik Gladhorn Frederik.Gladhorn at qt.io
Mon Sep 16 13:22:22 CEST 2019

On mandag 16. september 2019 12:22:06 CEST Edward Welbourne wrote:
> Albert Astals Cid (16 September 2019 11:33) wrote:
> > If i do
> >
> >   git clone ssh://myuser@codereview.qt-project.org/qt/qtbase
> >
> > I get branch 5.12
> >
> > Given that 5.12 is now on cherry-pick mode (AFAIK) would it make more
> > sense to default to branch 5.13?
>
> We have a history of setting a release branch (stable, I think; perhaps
> LTS) as the default branch in our repositories.  This means that anyone
> who mirrors our repositories gets that as their default branch (unless /
> until they update it).  I don't see this as a good choice: getting dev
> on the branches that have it would make more sense.
>
> IIUC, the rationale for the present practice is that we want to make it
> easier for folk who send us fixes.  I honestly doubt we'd suffer harm by
> having fixes sent to us on dev a bit more often (and other changes, that
> *do* belong on dev, being sent first to another branch would surely
> happen less often); reviewers can surely help the contributor get it
> onto the right branch, if there's a good reason why dev isn't good
> enough.
>
> ... now, where have I met this discussion recently ?
> I'm quite sure I have, but can't remember where ...

I also had a chat about this recently and the Gerrit admins in general don't
really fell like constantly changing the default branch, so I'd be much in
favor of just moving all default branches to dev.

In my opinion we should mostly care about the dev branch, since that's where
all future development needs to happen. Moving changes back into older
releases can of course be important, but that's not what most people should
have to worry about.

Cheers,
Frederik