[Development] Qt modules, API changes and Qt 6

Simon Hausmann Simon.Hausmann at qt.io
Tue Sep 17 14:39:01 CEST 2019

Am 17.09.19 um 14:27 schrieb Oswald Buddenhagen:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 06:56:39AM +0000, Simon Hausmann wrote:
>> When the todo list is empty and there are no more pending updates,
>> the batch update is complete. If during that update there were no
>> failures, the Qt Module Updater will also push a change to qt5.git
>> with an update to all submodule sha1s of the new consistent set of
>> modules.
>>
> an approach that doesn't put redundant dependency information inside
> the modules and doesn't spam them with updates to that info would have
> been preferable.
>
> for example, the information that a build with updated dependencies is
> required can be stored as an annotation in the commit message (that's
> exactly what zuul does, afaik), and the incremental propagation of the
> dependencies can be done in a "shadow" branch of the qt5 repository
> (technically, that could be a single gerrit change that gets
> progressively updated).

Yeah, I was also thinking of using git notes perhaps for storing the
information separately. (Doesn't seem to be enabled in our Gerrit?
Hopefully I'm wrong :).

After about 7 months elapsed without anybody picking up a smarter
solution, Lars and I sat down and implemented the "dumb" one -- we
really want to get going with Qt 6. I think a transition to a pinning
that doesn't "clutter" the history would be preferable / nice to have.

Simon