[Development] Qt modules, API changes and Qt 6

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de
Tue Sep 17 14:51:53 CEST 2019

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 12:39:01PM +0000, Simon Hausmann wrote:
>Am 17.09.19 um 14:27 schrieb Oswald Buddenhagen:
>> for example, the information that a build with updated dependencies
>> is required can be stored as an annotation in the commit message
>> (that's exactly what zuul does, afaik), and the incremental
>> propagation of the dependencies can be done in a "shadow" branch of
>> the qt5 repository (technically, that could be a single gerrit change
>> that gets progressively updated).
>>
>Yeah, I was also thinking of using git notes perhaps for storing the
>information separately. (Doesn't seem to be enabled in our Gerrit?
>Hopefully I'm wrong :).

i don't think using git notes is particularly useful here. the number of
affected commits would be rather low, so having an additional commit
message footer would not hurt. extracting that information would also be
rather easy (git log from the last reference point).

>After about 7 months elapsed without anybody picking up a smarter
>solution, Lars and I sat down and implemented the "dumb" one -- we
>really want to get going with Qt 6.

that seems like rather fallacious thinking. the solution i propose
certainly doesn't seem significantly harder than what you did; the main
issue is as usual getting past the inertia of the whole system, and you
have that anyway.