[Development] ChangeLog script will need adaptation to cherry-pick model

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Aug 11 08:09:35 CEST 2020

On Monday, 10 August 2020 22:09:10 PDT Jani Heikkinen wrote:
> This is something what I have been wondering a while: what is correct set of
> changes to be listed in changes file? Is it all changes from previous
> release in that same series (e.g all changes from 5.15.0 -> 5.15.1 ) or
> changes from previous release (with Qt 5.15.1 this would be then all
> changes from 5.15.0 -> 5.15.1 excluding ones in Qt 5.12.9).
>
> In my opinion it is first option; users should get info about all new
> changes in the release compared to same series; it doesn't matter if same
> changes are listed in other changes file in different series (those changes
> are relevant for users using that release) and user shouldn't need to
> browse several changes files to see what really is in the release.

Good question. I would say the top of the file says what it is comparing to:

Qt 5.13.2 is a bug-fix release. It maintains both forward and backward
compatibility (source and binary) with Qt 5.13.0 through 5.13.1.

Qt 5.15 introduces many new features and improvements as well as bugfixes
over the 5.14.x series. For more details, refer to the online documentation
included in this distribution. The documentation is also available online:

So your first option.

> And if the correct behavior is the first one then the script doesn't need
> any change?

No, it still needs to be adjusted for the first release in a minor series.
Between the branch point and the .0 release, there are plenty of changes that
may be cherry-picked into the previous series. For example, 5.15.0 is compared
against 5.14.2 and 6.0 will be compared against 5.15.2 or .3. And almost all
changes added to it after 5.15.0 went first to dev before being cherry-picked.

Without adjustment, the changelog script will compare 6.0 to 5.15.0.