[Development] Making Binary Incompatible Changes after Qt 6.0

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Tue Dec 8 17:32:51 CET 2020

> On 8 Dec 2020, at 16:28, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday, 8 December 2020 01:55:12 PST Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development
> wrote:
>> Raising the bar: apart from some cases of API problems in 6.0, would it
>> be feasible to do a BC break after every LTS? We might find more
>> annoyances we want to fix.
>
> So long LTSs don't happen more often than every 4 years.

Hm, every third release is an LTS: 5.9, 5.12, 5.15, perhaps 6.2.

So, that’s every 1.5 years if we stick to the current release cadence.

As a Qt developer I find this very tempting. But it also means that the whole world has to rebuild all the Qt things every 18 months, which is perhaps not great from an eco-system perspective.

Volker