[Development] The future of smart pointers in Qt API

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Feb 2 21:26:28 CET 2020

On 02/02/20 21:55, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development wrote:
> On 02/02/2020 17:38, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
>> Believe it or not :-) I find std::shared_ptr easier to use when passing
>> pointers to and from functions. And I never needed to put them into an
>> array.
>
> This is a logical fallacy; "I don't need it, noone else does".

Yes, but it's a logical fallacy you yourself made up: I never claimed
that std::unique_ptr is not needed.

> And I still see no problem in that? What is the problem at looking a bit
> outside one's comfort zone (or one's bubble) and realizing that simply
> because the Standard Library uses snake_case, we can live with it just
> fine?

I'm certainly fine with it, as long as my code doesn't end up with a
mixed style. This is certainly OK when I'm using some third party
modules in some isolated source file, but I'm less fine with it when
it's on types I need to use all over the place.

Ciao,
  Alberto

--
http://www.mardy.it - Geek in un lingua international