[Development] [Releasing] HEADS-UP: Qt 5.15 Feature Freeze is in effect now

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Wed Feb 5 11:50:57 CET 2020

On 4 Feb 2020, at 16:56, Volker Hilsheimer <volker.hilsheimer at qt.io> wrote:
>>> I’ve been struggling a bit more than expected with getting the
>>> implementation of "move a file or directory to the trash" pass
>>> CI. It’s a popular feature request:
>>>
>>> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-47703
>>>
>>> The basic implementation and private APIs have been in for a bit,
>>> but required a bit of follow-up, which delayed the merging of the
>>> commit that adds the public API in:
>>>
>>> https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/287373

Lars Knoll (Tuesday, February 4, 2020 8:41 PM)
>> +1 from my side. It doesn’t have dependencies on any other code, so
>> it can’t break anything else neither.

Jani Heikkinen (5 February 2020 06:42)
> Why this is so important that we should get the exception & go in after FF?

Do we allow changes approved before feature freeze to get past the Coin
hurdle, even if that happens after FF ?  How much fixing of the change
(if it turns out to have problems integrating) is acceptable, before we
declare that it's no longer the change that was approved in time ?

In the present instance (modulo: I may have misunderstood some of what's
going on), we have a change that's integrated in 5.15 but won't merge up
to dev because dev has a platform 5.15 lacks, on which the change
doesn't compile.  This is blocking 5.15 -> dev merges in qtbase at
present.  Volker is trying to fix that in 5.15, so that the merge-up can
go ahead.  Either we revert the commit that introduced move-to-trash, to
unblock merging, or we need to fix in 5.15 the build that's only done in
dev.  A revert means backing out of the feature, even though (IIUC) it
works just fine in 5.15.

	Eddy.