[Development] QtLocation / QtPositioning and Web Assembly

Lorn Potter lorn.potter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 03:01:19 CET 2020

On 19/2/20 6:49 PM, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to create an application using the MapView QtQuick plugin and deploy
> that application using the Web Assembly platform. It seems, though, that the
> QtPositioning and QtLocation modules are not (yet?) available for WASM.
>
> - Did anybody already get it to work?
Most likely not yet.

> - Is this planned by anybody?
It has been in the back of my mind for some time now, but I just created
a JIRA task if you want to comment, or vote for it.

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-82358

> - What would be the steps / likely time investment, etc. to be able to use
> these modules in a WASM-deployed application?

The hard part would be implementing the positioning backend using
javascript API, which is quite limited in comparison to other sources.
It lacks satellite info for one. So at least it would not take all that
much work to get basic functionality. On par for the serialnmea plugin.

--
Lorn Potter
Freelance Qt Developer. Platform Maintainer Qt WebAssembly, Maintainer