[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Alexander Akulich akulichalexander at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 21:59:20 CET 2020

Your decision is not a reason to contribute more. It is going to hurt
the ecosystem because it makes it harder to get new developers and
users.

In some of my previous companies, we had a long release cycle so as a
Linux developer I could justify my paid time spent on upstreaming a
fix to get it included into the binary offline installers for all
platforms in about a month. The new policy cross-off this reason to
submit fixes.

You already made life harder by licensing Qt under GPL v3. Of course,
it has pros and cons, but let's jump to the consequence: we have
Sailfish OS out of the boat. The OS could have a modern Qt and we
actually could have people working on the upstream QtDeclarative, Qt
Quick Controls 2 and other modules in the paid time, but. The OS
developers have complex agreements with a number of important business
partners and for some of them, it is unacceptable to follow some of
the tivoization-related GPL v3 clauses. It is hard to explain to
managers the profit from a new version or collaboration with the Qt
community. (From a business PoV) it makes very little sense to pay for
some abstract "technical prettiness" as long as Qt 5.6 gives you the
money.

On the professional side, I suddenly understand how much I'm depending
on Qt. I spent my paid and spare time to make the world and the Qt
world better, but now I'm sad and disappointed. The world is changing
so fast. Years ago I taught students to the light side with C++, Qt,
and open source. I can't imagine asking dozens of students to register
and get Qt Account. Nowadays and with this step, I see even fewer
reasons to learn C++ and Qt.

I respect and appreciate the work of all Qt developers. Thank you all
for the amazing technology. Long live Qt! I hope we won't have to
fork.