[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Mon Jan 27 23:15:27 CET 2020

Hello David,

On 1/27/20 11:00 PM, David Edmundson wrote:
>> All security fixes are made available to everyone, for all Qt versions that
>> they affect, provided it's still a supported Qt version (or it was easy to
>> make the fix).
>>
> If we could have that explicitly in writing from TQC, that would mean a lot.

The blog post states:

"We are changing our process in R&D to push all bug fixes to the main
development branch first, and then backport selected bug fixes back into
stable release branches. This process ensures that the latest version of
Qt will always contain all bug fixes. This process change was discussed
during the last Qt Contributor Summit – we communicate the exact process
details when Qt 5.15 will be released. Otherwise, development processes
and the governance model will not change."

This means that you still have access to all the fixes for 5.15
that happen after 5.15.2-3, since they will be on the dev branch.

> I can easily envision a situation that affects only Qt5.15, but not
> Qt6.0 at which point it's not covered by what has been suggested
> officially so far as there would be nothing to cherry-pick.
>
> David

If there is a bug on 5.15 and not on 6.0,
a fix will be pushed to the dev branch, then cherry pick to the
commercial LTS version, but the patch will still be there, so you
can just added to your local Qt version.

The Qt Contributors Summit discussion can be found here too:
https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Contributors_Summit_2019_-_Branch_Policy

Cheers

--
Dr. Cristián Maureira-Fredes