[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 23:27:57 CET 2020

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 at 00:17, Cristián Maureira-Fredes
<Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io> wrote:

> Hello David,
>
> On 1/27/20 11:00 PM, David Edmundson wrote:
> >> All security fixes are made available to everyone, for all Qt versions that
> >> they affect, provided it's still a supported Qt version (or it was easy to
> >> make the fix).
> >>
> > If we could have that explicitly in writing from TQC, that would mean a lot.
>
> The blog post states:
>
> "We are changing our process in R&D to push all bug fixes to the main
> development branch first, and then backport selected bug fixes back into
> stable release branches. This process ensures that the latest version of
> Qt will always contain all bug fixes. This process change was discussed
> during the last Qt Contributor Summit – we communicate the exact process
> details when Qt 5.15 will be released. Otherwise, development processes
> and the governance model will not change."
>
> This means that you still have access to all the fixes for 5.15
> that happen after 5.15.2-3, since they will be on the dev branch.

The dev branch bug fixes don't necessarily apply cleanly to 5.15.

> > I can easily envision a situation that affects only Qt5.15, but not
> > Qt6.0 at which point it's not covered by what has been suggested
> > officially so far as there would be nothing to cherry-pick.
> >
> > David
>
> If there is a bug on 5.15 and not on 6.0,
> a fix will be pushed to the dev branch, then cherry pick to the
> commercial LTS version, but the patch will still be there, so you
> can just added to your local Qt version.

And this sort of fixes might also not apply cleanly, or even exist at
all, if 6 doesn't have the bug.
6 is dev, dev is 6, dev is not some perpetual 5.x+6.x upstream master branch.