[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 17:07:36 CET 2020

On 28/01/2020 02.46, Bogdan Vatra via Development wrote:
> Folks, you have to understand that The Qt Company must pay its developers!

Sure... but how's that working out for them under their current business
model? Is twisting the screws even tighter on customers that (based on
my impression from the lists) are *already* abandoning ship because they
can't afford licenses going to help? Does antagonizing the community help?

> What I'm worried about is that there will be a 5.15 fork after TQC will
> close that branch. That fork will be necessary because you can't just switch
> projects like KDE from Qt 5 to Qt 6 overnight, it will take years to do it!
> In all these years, all linux distributions that will ship Qt 5, will need
> regular updates with bug fixes, and because Qt 5.15 branch it's closed they
> will have to use either a "community" fork where all these distros will share
> their bugfixes or they will have their own patches. This means, it will be bad
> for TQC, because if these patches are not contributed via gerrit (CLA), TQC
> can't use them for commercial customers.

Indeed.

Say, anyone remember OpenOffice.org?

--
Matthew
(Opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do not reflect those