[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 17:09:00 CET 2020

On 28/01/2020 10.55, NIkolai Marchenko wrote:
>>   Won't someone please step up and do it for us?"
>
> Which is why I don't understand how the proposed model is supposed to help
> TQtC and the community.
> A lot of stuff they are dropping for opensource users will simply move to
> less trusted and perhaps less stable sources but will still be perfectly
> available which means the "lure" of the new commercial license is
> completely moot for overwhelming majority of developers. The moment those
> less trusted sources will turn out actually being malicious the backlash
> will hit Qt as a whole.

Alternatively, one preferred, *trusted* alternate source emerges and
becomes the next LibreOffice. ***Fantastic*** news for the community.
Still not so good for TQtC.

(I'm trying to decide, in context, whether to laugh at calling TQtC
"trusted"...)

> Instead of doing what they are doing, they should rethink the cost of their
> low/mid tier licenses to encourage wider adoption and seek crowdfunding.

I agree... somewhat. Where I disagree is that I would go even further
and suggest rethinking their entire business model. Maybe look at
companies with a strong and successful open source story. (Say, isn't
there one of those behind CMake?)

--
Matthew
(Opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do not reflect those