[Development] Changes to Qt offering

NIkolai Marchenko enmarantispam at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 16:55:52 CET 2020

>   Won't someone please step up and do it for us?"

Which is why I don't understand how the proposed model is supposed to help
TQtC and the community.
A lot of stuff they are dropping for opensource users will simply move to
less trusted and perhaps less stable sources but will still be perfectly
available which means the "lure" of the new commercial license is
completely moot for overwhelming majority of developers. The moment those
less trusted sources will turn out actually being malicious the backlash
will hit Qt as a whole. Removing these things doesn't matter in the end and
has the potential to make the company look even worse than these changes
look now.

The things that matter is the LTS (will hurt Qt more than opensource users,
imo) and the fact almost every new thing that happens in Qt recently
happens to be paywalled instead of LGPL.
Instead of doing what they are doing, they should rethink the cost of their
low/mid tier licenses to encourage wider adoption and seek crowdfunding.