[Development] Changes to Qt offering

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Wed Jan 29 06:02:10 CET 2020

Hi,

On 29/01/2020 04:23, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 10:01:43 PST Tim Murison wrote:
>> 2. Don’t scare people off before they even start. Much lower initial
>> pricing, no historical licensing, more distant ramps for price increases.
> Historical licensing cannot go away so long as companies develop with the Open
> Source version and then, before releasing, go buy the commercial version.
>
> Just buy the commercial licence upfront, or release as Open Source.

So, you think it is reasonable that a company that has been using Open
Source for a while successfully, but now would like to expand their
application using some of the commercial modules and would therefor want
to upgrade to a commercial license gets a bill for all the time they
were doing open source?

I think this kind of thing should not be automatic at least. You want to
avoid having companies moving from OS to commercial just before release,
but you also do not want to discourage fair usage of OS (including some
prototyping as far as I'm concerned).

André