[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jan 29 06:38:10 CET 2020

On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 21:02:10 PST André Somers wrote:
> Hi,
> > Just buy the commercial licence upfront, or release as Open Source.
>
> So, you think it is reasonable that a company that has been using Open
> Source for a while successfully, but now would like to expand their
> application using some of the commercial modules and would therefor want
> to upgrade to a commercial license gets a bill for all the time they
> were doing open source?

The problem is how to tell a company that legitimately wants to expand apart
from one that was "cheating".

That's why this past fee is negotiated on a case-by-case basis. Approach Qt
Sales with your proposal and see what they say. If your application is helping
the Qt ecosystem, they may not ask for any past fee.

> I think this kind of thing should not be automatic at least. You want to
> avoid having companies moving from OS to commercial just before release,
> but you also do not want to discourage fair usage of OS (including some
> prototyping as far as I'm concerned).

It's not. It's a negotiation with The Qt Company.