[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jan 29 06:45:38 CET 2020

On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 21:03:49 PST André Somers wrote:
> On 29/01/2020 04:27, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > So you're advocating being acquired by a bigger company that has a
> > different business and regards Qt only as a means to an end?
> >
> > Can you spell "Nokia" ?
>
> Can you explain what was so bad about the Nokia period (well, before the
> burning platform Elop...)? I remember it as a period where a lot of good
> things happened for Qt actually.

The end of it (burning platform, Elop). Big companies with deep pockets are
good for you... while they last. Then people get reassigned without notice,
departments get laid off, sites in high-cost countries get closed. And medium-
sized companies can get acquired.

The moment they change strategy, the project you're working on and depending
on can be left to the roadside. Just go to the GitHub organisation page of any
big company (including the one I work for) and you can find hundreds of open
source projects that aren't being updated any more. Heck, at github.com/intel
you're going to find multiple EOLed projects for the same objective!

I admire Ktiware and their commitment to CMake, but Qt is at least two orders
of magnitude more complex than CMake. I doubt the same model would work.