[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Wed Jan 29 09:57:39 CET 2020

On 1/29/20 9:25 AM, Filippo Cucchetto wrote:
> Qt should find a good balance between licensing costs and investors.
> Taking JetBrains as an example of similar (profitable) company you can
> see that for a single developer all their tools suite costs 600 euros yearly
> decreasing to 400 after 3 years. I think that's a fair price even for a
> framework like Qt. Furthermore i think that current LGPL users could be more
> willing to buy a commercial company once a good price for them is
> available (at that point i would simply turn Qt dual licensing GPL or
> Commerical period).
> Another point is that a great framework like Qt need some big investors
> that are willing to use Qt for their ecosystem. We don't have big
> informations onthis
> area but maybe the partnership with LG or with one or more company in
> the automotive field can give a stable flow of cash.
> In conclusion a 400 euro per developer/year is a nice spot for
> converting most LGPL users to Commercial.
>
> F.
> [snip]

Hey Filippo,

I think that's a really good idea,
Personally I have looked into the JetBrains model before,
just to bring new ways of getting more commercial users
into the Qt ecosystem.

I really want to believe that the new startup price is the beginning
of having ad-hoc pricing for everyone, and hopefully in the future
we can also see "medium-size company prices" or
"freelancer developer licenses", but such decisions cannot be made
at the same time.

Once the new startup pricing is out, the company will analyze if it was
a good move, and evaluate special future offerings, or at least
that's what I would do.

Regarding partnerships, I'm really not an expert, but do you have some
material regarding "pros and cons" of such deals?
Maybe you can point out some examples on this topic?

Best

--
Dr. Cristián Maureira-Fredes
R&D Manager