[Development] Changes to Qt offering

ekke ekke at ekkes-corner.org
Wed Jan 29 10:39:20 CET 2020

Am 29.01.20 um 09:57 schrieb Cristián Maureira-Fredes:
> I really want to believe that the new startup price is the beginning
> of having ad-hoc pricing for everyone, and hopefully in the future
> we can also see "medium-size company prices" or
> "freelancer developer licenses", but such decisions cannot be made
> at the same time.
>
> Once the new startup pricing is out, the company will analyze if it was
> a good move, and evaluate special future offerings,

the new pricing will only fit to very very small business or single
developers, so I imagine that there won't be so many licenses sold.
analyzing this one year later could give the answer "it doesn't work -
let us stop it".

would be much better to change the limitations (increase max revenue) to
get a larger amount of new devs using this

also it would be a good idea to have license prices for medium sized
businesses, so everyone starting with small-biz-license knows what to
pay if he/she has success and grows with Qt.

I know some features are missing, but over all Qt is such a great
platform for mobile apps. Since QQC2 you can create cool and performant
mobile apps. (Looking forward to Qt6/QML3 where all is compiled to C++)

I'm speaking on dev conferences, demonstrating apps at conferences and
customers, writing articles for magazines. Licensing costs always was
the barrier for other devs to jump on Qt. Now with $499/year it's much
better to argument against usw of Xamarin, Flutter, ReactNative....

Hope TQC will adjust definition of small business and also provide
license for medium business.

--

ekke (ekkehard gentz)

independent software architect
international development native mobile business apps
Qt Mobile: Android, iOS, W10 (former projects: BlackBerry 10)
workshops - trainings - app development

*Qt Champion
BlackBerry Elite Developer
*
max-josefs-platz 30, D-83022 rosenheim, germany
mailto:ekke at ekkes-corner.org
my blog: http://ekkes-corner.org
app development blog: http://appbus.org

twitter: @ekkescorner
LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/ekkehard/
Steuer-Nr: 156/220/30931 FA Rosenheim, UST-ID: DE189929490