[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Wed Jan 29 13:25:40 CET 2020

On 1/29/20 10:36 AM, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development wrote:
> Il 29/01/20 09:52, Cristián Maureira-Fredes ha scritto:
>>
>> Currently, you can create a Qt Account with your email
>> and a password, when you received the email, you confirm by clicking on
>> the link, and then you can optionally enter your information.
>> First Name and Last Name are required, but then you can enter
>> any information on these fields. (I didn't check the checkbox
>> to receive information).
>
> Using a fake identity is a violation of the terms of service, and I
> wouldn't be surprised that it could be seen as a crime in the EU or in
> the US. Are you seriously suggesting that?

I'm sorry if you got that impression, I was not.
I was just saying that are the same fields as the mailing list.
The phrase was just referring to the fact that the twitter video that
was shared, was asking for even birthday as a mandatory field.

>> Doing that, now I have access
>> to the future installer, I can manage my Qt downloads, install the
>> binaries, remove components if I will not use and everything else.
>>
>> How different is this process
>> from registering to this mailing list for example?
>
> This is a logical fallacy. "Name and email is also what you use to
> register to file your tax returns, why are you so concerned?"
>
> I'd wager that the ratio of Qt users reading (if not writing) on these
> mailing lists vs the total of Qt users is somewhere in the 10^-4 order
> of magnitude. And, the irony is, we're not even using the Qt Account for
> managing the subscriptions to this very mailing list!

This is nothing new Giuseppe,
people actively using Qt will have Qt accounts because they either
use our JIRA, and also Gerrit, son for those people, this should not
make such impact on the usage of the Qt account.

>> IIRC I entered my email, my name, and a password, then I got an email,
>> clicked on the link, verified my name again, and then I was welcomed
>> to the mailing list.
>>
>> But sure, the mailing list is not software, but a service
>> to communicate with others.
>> Since the installer is a service that TQtC provides,
>> for me is really not difficult to understand that I will require
>> an account, after all TQtC is responsible of having a working CI
>> that can generate those binaries for your convenience.
>> Sure, this was not there before, but is it really so strange? and rude?
>
> It is in a world of software-as-a-commodity (and especially UI toolkits
> as a commodity), as well as in a world which is (finally) more privacy
> sensitive. People don't want companies to collect their personal data
> any more "just for the sake of it", but especially, any wall you raise
> that prevents the installation of your software to be a series of clicks
> on "next next next finish" simply makes your software much less attractive.
>
> (Not to mention that, as already pointed out, this could be also solved
> by allowing some OpenID providers to authenticate an user)

I really think we are having this discussion with different sets of
people in mind.

--
Dr. Cristián Maureira-Fredes
R&D Manager