[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Benjamin TERRIER b.terrier at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 15:20:16 CET 2020

On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 14:10, Cristián Maureira-Fredes <
Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io> wrote:

> but for Windows/macOS this might have three solutions (maybe more):
> - Using package managers that provide Qt,
> - Download and compile Qt by themselves,
> - Create an account and use the installer.

How is any of these a solution to the fact that your a putting a barrier
for new users?
These are just 3 bad solutions to a problem that did not exist yesterday
and that we have to deal with
because you removed the 2 main points of entry for new Qt users: the
offline installer and
the non-privacy-violating online installer.

> Good thing that you replied in any case,
> because I really think we should separate the different use cases:
>
> - For people already using Qt, with Qt accounts,
> that's not a problem.

This, and a lot of what TQC employees are saying on these changes, does
sound like the famous sentence
from Don Mattrick about the Xbox One: "We have a product for people who
aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360."

Back to the topic, I have a Qt account, I do NOT want to use it to install
Qt.
I am pretty sure we will have community provided offline, and even maybe
online, installers soon enough.