[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Nicolas Arnaud-Cormos nicolas.arnaud-cormos at kdab.com
Wed Jan 29 17:38:26 CET 2020

On 29/01/2020 17:02, Volker Hilsheimer wrote:
>> On 29 Jan 2020, at 15:20, Benjamin TERRIER <b.terrier at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 14:10, Cristián Maureira-Fredes <Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io> wrote:
>>> but for Windows/macOS this might have three solutions (maybe more):
>>> - Using package managers that provide Qt,
>>> - Download and compile Qt by themselves,
>>> - Create an account and use the installer.
>>
>> How is any of these a solution to the fact that your a putting a barrier for new users?
>> These are just 3 bad solutions to a problem that did not exist yesterday and that we have to deal with
>> because you removed the 2 main points of entry for new Qt users: the offline installer and
>> the non-privacy-violating online installer.
> Hm, if the problem didn’t exist, then why did the solutions exist? Package managers on Windows and macOS provide Qt in the past, after all, and
>
> $ sudo apt-get install -y qtcreator
> PS C:\Users\vohi> choco install qtcreator
> $ brew install qt-creator
>
> give me a Qt development environment on Linux, Windows, and macOS.
As much as I love chocolatey, everybody is talking about installing Qt,
and you are showing how to install Qt Creator - what is the connection?

Right now, there are no way to install Qt itself with chocolatey.
I would be more than happy if The Qt Company was providing chocolatey
packages for Qt, but it doesn't seem to take this road :)

Cheers,
Nicolas