[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jan 29 17:43:01 CET 2020

On Wednesday, 29 January 2020 01:09:25 PST Nicolas Arnaud-Cormos via
Development wrote:
> Hi Thiago,
>
> On 29/01/2020 04:25, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > The source code on download.qt.io remains anonymously accessible.
>
> How do you know that?
> What would prevent The Qt Company to use Qt accounts on download.qt.io?
> Where is it stated they won't do that?

Because hiding the source code for open source releases behind an account is
pointless. You can download it from Git if necessary and the mirrors on
GitHub.com have a nice .tar.gz download option. (Note: you need perl to build
that, even on Windows)

> Fact is, the announce doesn't come with any of the technical details
> allowing us to understand the full scope of the changes. I'm not even
> sure The Qt Company does know internally.
> How and when the private branch will be created? Will it be possible to
> continue patch the open branches by the community, even without release?
> Will they accept backport done by the community on those open branches?
> How will The Qt Company manage the patches necessary to Qt 5.15
> (security issues, hopefully regressions even if it's unsure)? What will
> be behind a login wall?
>
> There are way too many questions answered right now.

Correct, those details are not announced.