[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de
Thu Jan 30 01:01:06 CET 2020

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 11:40:46PM +0100, Filippo Cucchetto wrote:
>Maybe you didn't get it but i meant to both put a reasonable price for
>a commercial license (500$) and turning everything GPL or commercial.
>Making everything GPL forces all LGPL to buy a commercial license. This
>obviously could turn away some people but only if there isn't a proper
>offer for the commercial license.

that's a fine plan and i assure you that tqtc management would *love* to
do at least the gpl part (not sure they'd have the wisdom to lower the
prices and properly reward contributors, though).

unfortunately, this won't work unless kde agrees that the only moral
thing to do would be allowing tqtc to restore the pre-nokia gpl
licensing, given that tqtc is in pretty much the same position as
trolltech was. of course, tqtc has a much less likable and trustworthy
management, but in their defense, they are also a bit desperate to
satisfy their greedy shareholders. capitalism rocks, huh?

(going gpl-only would inevitably lead to a fork, but if we assume
appropriate licensing cost of upstream, that fork would be driven by
people who are unable or unwilling to invest (time or money), plus a few
idealists. that would make it pretty much an LTS branch, and thus not
pose a serious threat to tqtc's business. at least that's my hypothesis.
:-D)