[Development] QProperty and library coding guide

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 22:51:11 CEST 2020

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 23:48, Ville Voutilainen
<ville.voutilainen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 22:12, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 10:40:27 PDT Ville Voutilainen wrote:
> > > A very significant goal of this exercise is achieving notational
> > > convenience. Theoretical concerns about UB
> > > in the presence of papers that apparently excise that UB shouldn't
> > > stand in the way of that goal.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't agree. We can't use something that is unimplementable.
>
> Oh, when did that change? Was qobject_cast changed not to be UB?

See also all the memcpys that are done with types that are
polymorphic, and the ones
where we memcpy types that have user-provided copy operations. qtbase
is UB left right
and center, but it's certainly interesting that when a new thing in it
might be clarified
not to be UB after all, we perform all kinds of somersaults to avoid
such dark corners.