[Development] QProperty and library coding guide

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jul 23 01:40:38 CEST 2020

On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 14:17:26 PDT Bernhard Lindner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Breaking BC means subtle errors that are hard do detect and debug.
>
> Couldn't those subtle errors be replaced by some clear and understandable
> error? Like some explicit binary compatibility check?

Such a test does not exist, comprehensively. We can put a few common things in
an ABI marker,  like the size of QObject, the actual type qreal maps to, the
name of the C++ standard library we linked against, etc. But that won't catch
everything and it's the minor things that come back to bite you.

Neither the ABI test by the Linux Foundation, nor abigail, nor our own tst_bic
are exhaustive. And they're way too slow for a regular run.