[Development] Windows 7 support will be dropped in Qt 6

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jun 16 02:45:42 CEST 2020

Volker Hilsheimer wrote:
> Sounds like y’all have a wonderful new business opportunity ahead of
> yourselves: charge your new-leaf-app-on-old-OS customers handsomely for
> the extra effort. After all, you do have to keep your Windows 7 test rigs
> around (and secured); perhaps even pay some extra retainers to those
> developers on your team that know about those Windows 7 quirks. That can’t
> be cheap in terms of net and esp opportunity cost!

You are still stuck in the commercial world there. In the Free Software
world, I run a shell script that builds an .exe with cross-MinGW(-w64) and
an installer with cross-NSIS, and only if I'm really nice, I'll run the
output with WINE once for a minute or two. Then I upload it. Testing is what
I have users for. :-p

        Kevin Kofler