[Development] Stepping down as QtWebChannel maintainer

Arno Rehn a.rehn at menlosystems.com
Wed Jun 17 15:20:04 CEST 2020

Hey Milian,

Am 17.06.2020 um 15:05 schrieb Milian Wolff:
> I would like to step down as the QtWebChannel maintainer. I simply don't have
> the time for that module, especially now that there's some more work required
> for Qt 6. I'll stay around to answer questions and I'll happily do code
> reviews. But I don't feel comfortable to keep my position without the time to
> work on the outstanding bugs (there aren't too many afaik).

Sad to hear this! You've always been quick to address issues or review
my patches :-)

> A big driving factor for me is also Integrity as a forced supported platform.
> It is preventing me from merging a patch of mine [1] and I have simply zero
> interest to investigate what the hell that stupid compiler doesn't like about
> my code. The "good" platforms accept it after all.

IIRC this is not the first time that Integrity creates trouble for
people. Can we just drop it for QtWebChannel? Or maybe move QtWebChannel
to be an add-on in Qt6?

> That said: If anyone else (Arno? Kai? Frank?) wants to step up and fill my
> role, I would be happy to get you up and running. And as I said, I'll stick
> around for reviewing. That should hopefully make the next maintainers role a
> bit less lonely ;-)

I'd actually like to do this. Personally, I think the tech is quite
cool. Additionally, at my company, we're using QtWebChannel for remote
interop. It's kinda critical for us, so we have a vested interest in
this getting the attention it needs :-)
I need to ask if I can perform the maintainer role on company time,
though. With family and a day job there's not much free time left.

I'll discuss this in the company and then I'll get back to you!

Regards,
Arno

--
Arno Rehn
Tel +49 89 189 166 0
a.rehn at menlosystems.com
www.menlosystems.com

Menlo Systems GmbH
Am Klopferspitz 19a, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Amtsgericht München HRB 138145
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Mei, Dr. Ronald Holzwarth
USt.-IdNr. DE217772017, St.-Nr. 14316170324