[Development] GitHub Pull requests

Alexandru Croitor alexandru.croitor at qt.io
Wed Mar 11 13:22:49 CET 2020

> On 11. Mar 2020, at 07:48, Richard Weickelt <richard at weickelt.de> wrote:
>
>>> In an ideal world...
>>>
>>> - Alice opens a pull request on GitHub.
>>> - A bot sees the PR and opens a corresponding request on Gerrit.
>>> - Bob comments on the Gerrit request.
>>> - A bot sees Bob's comment and replicates it to the GitHub PR.
>>> - Alice replies (on GitHub) to Bob's comment.
>>> - A bot sees Alice's comment and replicates it to Gerrit.
>>>
>>> ...and so on.
>>
>> Then Bob asks Alice to make a change in commit, and she has to make
>> push -f in her branch. After that, review comments on GitHub are smashed,
>> while remain perfectly readable in Gerrit, and Bob can see difference
>> between patch versions while Alice cannot.
>
> There is a github plugin for Gerrit that promises some form of integration:
>
>    https://gerrit.googlesource.com/plugins/github/

I searched a bit and found a sample github pull request, and its associated Gerrit change.

https://review.gerrithub.io/c/eclipse/titan.EclipsePlug-ins/+/486885
https://github.com/eclipse/titan.EclipsePlug-ins/pull/572

Looks like all commits inside the PR (2 in this case) + an additional commit for the merge get merged into Gerrit (rather than cherry-picked).

Don't know if it's configurable behaviour, somebody would have to play with the plugin.