[Development] Debian packaging from Git snapshots (qtsystems, qtfeedback, qtpim)

Chris Adams chris.adams at qinetic.com.au
Fri Mar 13 01:32:24 CET 2020

Hi Mike,

I don't know much / anything about QtSystems, perhaps Lorn has more
information about that.

I am currently the maintainer of QtFeedback and QtPIM, although the amount
of time I have to spend on them is currently very limited, unfortunately.
In regards to API and ABI stability: QtFeedback has been very stable, and
there are no plans to make any changes there in the near future; but QtPIM
has seen far more activity than QtFeedback, and we occasionally have made
breaking changes there when necessary or desirable (the last big one I can
think of was the QContactDetail performance improvements in 2015/2016
timeframe).  There are some changes in the backlog which might be SIC or
BIC also, e.g. https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtpim/+/210812 and
one other known work item (which I meant to start this week, but didn't get
around to it) is that QtPIM currently doesn't build against dev/qt6, so
some non-SIC porting work is required also.  As such, I'm not sure that
strong BIC/SIC guarantees are possible or desirable there at this point in
time at least.

Regarding maintainership: yes, for QtPIM at least it would be very
beneficial if someone from UBPorts could commit significant time to QtPIM,
as there are some open items there currently and unfortunately I don't have
much capacity to spend on QtPIM at the moment.  Alberto Mardegan has done a
lot of work in the QtPIM area previously, and might be a good candidate if
his commitments allow...

As for release tags, I am open to such (e.g. major version bumps for binary
breaks, minor version bumps for API additions, patch version bumps for
other fixes / improvements) but I am not sure how that is done, in
practice, for Qt repositories.  Is that something which an external like
myself can do?  What is the process?  Or maybe this is something which Qt
release management would want to handle?

Best regards,
Chris.