[Development] GitHub Pull requests

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Mar 15 03:19:47 CET 2020

On Friday, 13 March 2020 04:48:21 EST Florian Bruhin wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 10:51:31PM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > I also need two CIs so I can test on just three OSes.
>
> Can you elaborate on that? I assume those are Linux, macOS and Windows?

Correct.

> Pretty much all big CI providers I can think of (Travis CI, AppVeyor,
> GitHub Actions, Azure Pipelines) support all three of those.

AppVeyor supports Linux, but they support Dot Net on Linux, which isn't
interesting. Travis does not support Windows (or didn't, last I checked). That
means I need both to have the two to support three OSes.

GitHub Actions didn't exist until last November. But it doesn't help right now
because their Windows support does not come with Qt pre-installed, like
AppVeyor's does. Building Qt, even if just a minimal QtCore and QtTest, just
to unit-test TinyCBOR, is out of the question. Did you also read the part
where I already spend half my yearly allocation of TinyCBOR just to maintain
the .travis.yml file? Note how that's using apt-get to install Stephan
Binner's builds of Qt for Ubuntu on Linux and Homebrew on Mac. Imagine having
to *build* Qt, on Windows.

That's why I asked last month (and still have no official reply) on how the Qt
Company suggests we use Qt in public CIs, if the binary build is locked to Qt
Accounts.