[Development] GitHub Pull requests

Richard Weickelt richard at weickelt.de
Sun Mar 15 08:30:21 CET 2020

> AppVeyor supports Linux, but they support Dot Net on Linux, which isn't
> interesting. Travis does not support Windows (or didn't, last I checked).
> That means I need both to have the two to support three OSes.

Travis supports Windows. The machines are not fast, but it is usually enough.

> GitHub Actions didn't exist until last November. But it doesn't help
> right now because their Windows support does not come with Qt
> pre-installed, like AppVeyor's does. Building Qt, even if just a minimal
> QtCore and QtTest, just to unit-test TinyCBOR, is out of the question.
> Did you also read the part where I already spend half my yearly
> allocation of TinyCBOR just to maintain the .travis.yml file? Note how
> that's using apt-get to install Stephan Binner's builds of Qt for Ubuntu
> on Linux and Homebrew on Mac. Imagine having to *build* Qt, on Windows.

FWIW: We use Travis to build and test Qbs on all 3 major platforms and the
maintenance does not require much effort.

https://code.qt.io/cgit/qbs/qbs.git/tree/.travis.yml

However, important features like sharing artifacts between stages are still
missing and reinstalling all dependencies every time is not always 100%
reliable. Although Travis is less popular these days, their UI is still the
tidiest I have seen and their open source offering (5 parallel executors) is
still very generous.

AppVeyor recently started advertising that VM images can be customized. I
have not tried it.

> That's why I asked last month (and still have no official reply) on how
> the Qt Company suggests we use Qt in public CIs, if the binary build is
> locked to Qt Accounts.

Do you seriously expect to get a reply? Are you a paying customer?

Richard