[Development] Finishing the transition to the cherry-pick model

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Mon May 4 10:43:54 CEST 2020

> On 4 May 2020, at 04:33, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
> On Friday, 17 April 2020 04:21:42 PDT Volker Hilsheimer wrote:
>> 3) we will turn on the cherry-picking bot for all repositories
>>
>> Expect this to happen in early May, but probaly not at the same time for all
>> repos. We will update the commit template to include a commented out
>> “Pick-to” footer.
>
> What's the timeline for the bot now?
>
> I submitted 35 cleanup changes across multiple repositories to 5.15 and in
> some of them the reviewers asked for retargetting to Dev and adding a Pick-To
> header. Do I;
>
> a) stage the changes that have already been approved, to 5.15 branch?
>
> b) retarget them all to dev Pick-To headers and stage ASAP?
>
> c) wait 3 weeks and do (b).

Hi,

We seem to be sticking to the plan from the email I sent mid-April, starting this thread:

"We will perform at least two concluding, manually executed forward merges from Qt 5.15 into dev, around RC time (end of April) and once the .0 release is packaged. So no changes will be lost.”

So, for the process this means:

* we are waiting for the go from Jani that 5.15.0 is wrapped up (it’s not quite yet)
* once we have it, we will initiate the final forward merges 5.15.0 -> 5.15 -> dev

Before the final forward merge is done, we don’t want any cherry-picks in 5.15 yet, and we don’t any 5.15-only content either, as it just complicates the merge.

For you this means:

* work against dev already now; since 5.15.0 is done, there’s no reason to continue to target 5.15 (*)
* add Pick-to: footers to changes you’d like to have cherry-picked down into 5.15 (the commit template in qt5.git/dev is updated)

Once the final forward merge is done, we will pick the Pick-to:’ed changes down into 5.15, and turn on cherry-pick bot everyhwere.

Volker

(*) except for changes that are 5.15 only; but with those, please wait until the final forward merge is done