[Development] Untangling our platform plugins

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de
Fri May 15 13:18:01 CEST 2020

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 09:20:26AM +0000, Tor Arne Vestbø wrote:
>But for the ones that live in qtbase, the majority of their code would
>be moved to the relevant modules, leaving only the plugin’s entry point
>as a shared library.

having a significant part of the plugin's implementation (if not most of
it) linked into the parent library leads the concept of "plugin" ad
absurdum.

>Or, in the case of platforms such as macOS where there’s only one
>“platform”, the plugin is built directly into QtGui as a static plugin.

the logical consequence of the above would be statically linking the
plugins on all platforms. or, for that matter, throwing out the pretense
of plugins and just make it a regular factory, to the degree it even
makes sense at all.

the alternative would be building the "platform addons" as separate
libraries to which the plugins and interested user code may link. note
that this implies that the parent libraries may not use any of the
functionality directly - that would imply finally creating platform
plugins per library, rather than cramming everything into qtgui's qpa
plugins. it's debatable whether this granularity is desirable, though
(now that "everyone" has an ssd, having many small libraries isn't that
painful anymore, but still).