[Development] Finishing the transition to the cherry-pick model

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Fri May 15 13:58:06 CEST 2020

> On 4 May 2020, at 10:43, Volker Hilsheimer <volker.hilsheimer at qt.io> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We seem to be sticking to the plan from the email I sent mid-April, starting this thread:
>
> "We will perform at least two concluding, manually executed forward merges from Qt 5.15 into dev, around RC time (end of April) and once the .0 release is packaged. So no changes will be lost.”
>

> So, for the process this means:
>
> * we are waiting for the go from Jani that 5.15.0 is wrapped up (it’s not quite yet)
> * once we have it, we will initiate the final forward merges 5.15.0 -> 5.15 -> dev
>

> Before the final forward merge is done, we don’t want any cherry-picks in 5.15 yet, and we don’t any 5.15-only content either, as it just complicates the merge.

With Qt 5.15.0 packaged up and ready to be released, Liang has initiated the manual 5.15->dev merges yesterday (5.15.0->5.15 is already completed).

https://codereview.qt-project.org/q/status:open+owner:qt_forward_merge_bot%2540qt-project.org

Those are still work in progress of conflict resolution (your help appreciated), but no new 5.15-commits will be added to those merges.

Anything that goes into 5.15 branches from now on is considered a 5.15-only fix, and will no longer be merged up into dev. A change to the sanity bot that will warn about direct pushes into non-dev branches is about to be deployed to production. If you have 5.15-only changes that you were holding on to, you can now push and stage those again.

The cherry-pick bot that processes Pick-to footers in commits will be turned on in the remaining module repositories [1] on Monday.

Changes in dev that have the Pick-to: footer already today will be cherry-picked and pushed into the respective branches by your’s truly early next week; some of those will have conflicts, you will be notified if you authored the original change. Those that don’t have conflicts will be approved and staged; if they break in CI, you will also be notified.

Volker

[1] it’s been in place in qttools, qtquick3d, qtmultimedia, and qtquickcontrols2 for a while