[Development] Qt Multimedia as Add-on in Qt 6

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Fri May 22 20:54:24 CEST 2020

On 22/05/2020 13.43, Jason H wrote:
> How about I just pay - which my company already does? The lagging
> mobile support has us considering moving away from Qt. I think this
> decision would confirm our direction and only hasten our departure
> from the Qt ecosystem.
>
> I guess to some degree it depends on how you define "essential".
> Clearly multimedia *is* essential
What's "clear" to you may not be "clear" to everyone. I, personally,
don't believe I have ever used QtMM. I can think of applications I might
*like* to write that might use it, but plenty of applications I *do*
write have no need for it. Most KDE applications don't need it. QtC and
Designer don't need it.

In fact, out of the software I use in a typical day, the only stuff that
comes to mind that might need it are:

- Gwenview (but it's more a nice-to-have)
- Plasma? (Whatever is responsible for system notifications, anyway)
- My web browser (except I use Firefox, which does not use Qt...)
- Dragon

Really, the only three things I would argue *need* it are my web
browser, media player, and the desktop environment itself.

For quite a few application developers, it is *not* essential at all.

--
Matthew