[Development] Qt Multimedia as Add-on in Qt 6

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Sat May 23 12:29:02 CEST 2020

Den fre 22 maj 2020 kl 21:40 skrev Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development
<development at qt-project.org>:

> On 5/22/20 7:43 PM, Jason H wrote:
> > I guess to some degree it depends on how you define "essential".
>
> The definition is:
>
> "Qt Essentials define the foundation of Qt on all platforms. They are
> available on all supported development platforms and on the tested
> target platforms."

Let me include more of that quote [1]:

"[...] Essential modules are general and useful for a majority of Qt
applications. A module that is used for a special purpose is
considered an add-on module even if it is available on all supported
platforms."

I agree that according to that definition, QtMultimedia (and arguably
QtSQL?) is not essential.

Though it's going to be hard in some cases to determine if something
is clearly useful for a majority of Qt applications.. I mean, what
about QtNetwork? One could say that is "special purpose", but somehow
I don't think it's going to be dropped from Essentials :)

Elvis

[1] https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtmodules.html#qt-essentials