[Development] Qt 6 co-installability with Qt 5

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 18:57:13 CET 2020

Hi!

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 10:09, Lars Knoll <lars.knoll at qt.io> wrote:

> I honestly don't think renaming all our binaries is an option, certainly not that late in the process. We’ve had Qt 4 and Qt 5 co-installed for a long time as well and while that might not be perfect it was working.
>
> And qtchooser has been working nicely for me (Ubuntu at least uses it).

With all due respect, this is a *huge* sigh for me. I have been trying
to explain endless times why this is *not* true. If it works it's
because we maintainers have been doing quite a lot of hacks to let
things "work".

Seriously, we have discussed this before, and we kind of agreed that
user-facing applications should either be really backwards compatible
or should have the tool suffixed with the qt version. Whatever other
option is just pain for maintainers, be it trough qtchooser or by
letting us renaming tools ourselves.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/