[Development] Qt 6 co-installability with Qt 5

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Nov 11 16:54:29 CET 2020

On Monday, 9 November 2020 09:57:13 PST Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:
> Seriously, we have discussed this before, and we kind of agreed that
> user-facing applications should either be really backwards compatible
> or should have the tool suffixed with the qt version. Whatever other
> option is just pain for maintainers, be it trough qtchooser or by
> letting us renaming tools ourselves.

Lisandro, Kevin, other packagers in the list:

May I suggest you get together and make a proposal? If you can get a patch
into Gerrit, great. If not, then post the cmake command-line that Linux
distributions will use. We need the distributions to be consistent with each
other.

Post to this list what the Qt 6 Linux distributions packages will install and
what the layout will be. Whether the default builds do the same or not is
irrelevant. It's your choice and can go against the default build.

This is important for KDE Frameworks 6 and other software that mostly builds
from distro packages will likely adopt for its reference documentation.