[Development] Qt 6 co-installability with Qt 5

Joerg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at qt.io
Tue Nov 17 09:46:32 CET 2020

On 11/13/20 8:24 PM, Sune Vuorela wrote:

> Oh. And I'm surprised by the Qt-people sudden love of QtChooser
There's no sudden love. Just surprise that all of a sudden, shortly
before the release, the established solution for co-installability must
be changed.

It is certainly possible to add a further configure option a la
     -qt-executable-suffix -qt6
to move the burden from the packagers to Qt's build system and ensure
consistent Qt installation layouts across distributions.

However, simply changing the executable names won't cut it.
I expect breakages, esp. in the qmake support. Therefore, this won't
happen for 6.0.0.

Please come up with a proposal that fits the packagers needs for the
different distros, and we'll see how we can incorporate that into the
build system.

Cheers,

Joerg