[Development] Qt 6 co-installability with Qt 5

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 13:17:38 CET 2020

Hi Joerg!

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 05:49, Joerg Bornemann <joerg.bornemann at qt.io> wrote:

> On 11/13/20 8:24 PM, Sune Vuorela wrote:
>
> > Oh. And I'm surprised by the Qt-people sudden love of QtChooser
> There's no sudden love. Just surprise that all of a sudden, shortly
> before the release, the established solution for co-installability must
> be changed.

I have brought this issue at very least two years ago:

https://development.qt-project.narkive.com/l84BEF6M/qt6-qt5-coinstallability-linux-distributions

And I'm pretty sure I did revive the topic at least one or two more
times, so no, there is nothing new here.

> It is certainly possible to add a further configure option a la
>      -qt-executable-suffix -qt6
> to move the burden from the packagers to Qt's build system and ensure
> consistent Qt installation layouts across distributions.
>
> However, simply changing the executable names won't cut it.
> I expect breakages, esp. in the qmake support. Therefore, this won't
> happen for 6.0.0.
>
> Please come up with a proposal that fits the packagers needs for the
> different distros, and we'll see how we can incorporate that into the
> build system.

Provide user-facing applications with a suitable prefix. That's all
that's needed. Tools that are only used at build time do not need the
prefix.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/