[Development] How to perform unattended installations of Qt? (Was: Changes to Qt offering)

Croitor Alexandru placinta at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 00:03:40 CEST 2020

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 11:07 PM Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru>
wrote:

> For comparison, using simple python script from [1] (which was mentioned
> on the list a few times before)

Hmm, maybe my search-foo is weak, but searching for 'qt-downloader' in my
mail client only shows this
mail thread as the single result. I've seen references to other tools
though, like the script from
the qbs repo, Cristian's and Volker's scripts, and some other variations.

> results in my workflow [2] in 56 seconds on Windows [3] and 20 seconds on
> macOS with
> *NO CACHE* and *NO CREDENTIALS*. Time is saved because only used Qt
> modules are installed,
> online installer doesn't provide this kind of granularity.

Indeed I tried it out, and it works fast and the DX is nice: discoverable
arguments,
finer module granularity, support for ios and android, no credentials
needed.

I'm a bit iffy on the patching it does to make qmake work (regarding the
license check), but it's not the first time I see it.
And parsing the xml files feels like depending on an implementation detail
that might change in the future,
but I guess it worked well so far.

I hope the online installer CLI DX will improve in time to offer similar
granularity and user-friendliness,
with the advantage that it will provide access to commercial packages as
well.