[Development] How to perform unattended installations of Qt? (Was: Changes to Qt offering)

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Wed Sep 16 17:23:38 CEST 2020

> On 16 Sep 2020, at 17:05, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, 16 September 2020 03:39:58 PDT Volker Hilsheimer wrote:
>> I’ve recently been doing a bit of work to automate the testing of the online
>> installer and the Qt packages through minicoin [1] recently; check
>>
>> https://git.qt.io/vohilshe/minicoin/-/tree/master/minicoin/jobs/install-onli
>> ne
>>
>> for a cmake script that downloads the Qt Online installer and installs the
>> latest Qt 6 snapshot, on any host platform Qt supports.
>>
>> I’m running things regularly on local and cloud-hosted VMs running
>> Windows10, macOS, and Ubuntu. FWIW, the xdotool stuff is only needed
>> because I also want to run some basic tests that require a user session.
>
> Thanks, Volker
>
> The script is very understandable. When I have the time, I'll take a look at
> setting up a GitHub Action for installing Qt on their Linux and Mac hosts. I
> really need to get away from Travis, since that is taking 2-3 days to test a
> pull request.
>
> One question: the downloads are currently anonymous. I understood from earlier
> in this thread that would not remain the case. Did I misunderstand or is that
> still a change to come?
>
> --
>  Software Architect - Intel DPG Cloud Engineering

The download in the cmake script (and thanks to Christian Adam for some of the ideas to it) just pulls down the online installer.

The online installer then downloads the actual packages, and expects your qtaccount.ini file to have the credentials and license information.

The other scripts take care of that, and are part of how jobs are designed in minicoin: the pre-run script runs on the host, takes your local qtaccount.ini file, and puts it into the job; minicoin uploads the entire job directory ot the VM; the “main” scripts then run on the guest, and put them where the installer expects them.

Cheers,
Volker