[Development] QVariant comparison in Qt6

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Fri Sep 18 23:51:17 CEST 2020

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 11:56:38AM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Friday, 18 September 2020 09:38:12 PDT Ville Voutilainen wrote:
> > > We should use one of the types from <compare>[1]. Yes, it's C++20; we can
> > > make our internal API return an integer that is convertible to those types
> > > in the front-end API, under #if __has_include(<compare>).
> > >
> > > [1] https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/header/compare
> >
> > Why do people keep pushing C++20 facilities when we decided that C++17 is our
> > standard version? How does the int say "I can't compare this"?
> > partial_ordering can do that, but what will the int do?
>
> Because we should push our users to adopt new compiler versions.

What kind of political agenda is that?

Pushing for newer anything just means we are leaving people behind.

This might be justified in some cases if there's a real benefit outweighing
this loss, but pushing just for the sake of pushing?

> features in Qt only available when they upgrade is a good way to do that. Want
> to use old compilers? It costs more.

The cost is on *our side* because frustrated people leave the ecosystem.

Andre'