[Development] QVariant comparison in Qt6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Sep 19 05:22:56 CEST 2020

On Friday, 18 September 2020 14:51:17 PDT André Pönitz wrote:
> > Because we should push our users to adopt new compiler versions.
>
> What kind of political agenda is that?
>
> Pushing for newer anything just means we are leaving people behind.
>
> This might be justified in some cases if there's a real benefit outweighing
> this loss, but pushing just for the sake of pushing?
>
> > features in Qt only available when they upgrade is a good way to do that.
> > Want to use old compilers? It costs more.
>
> The cost is on *our side* because frustrated people leave the ecosystem.

I'm talking about adding new features that are only available with newer
compiler versions. Not about refactoring existing features so that people have
to upgrade to keep up with what they already had. The case of QVariant is a
bit special because it is a feature that used to exist, but was broken in many
ways, even if people were depending on it.

But for other things, I'm not shy about it. People can't complain that they
can't use features that didn't exist when they wrote their application.  If
they want to use new features, it stands to reason they've just upgraded Qt.
If they can do that, they should be able to upgrade their compiler and
toolchain too.