[Development] Deprecated/Obsolete API that survived the transition from Qt 5 to Qt 6

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Wed Apr 7 16:05:34 CEST 2021

> On 7 Apr 2021, at 15:51, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development <development at qt-project.org> wrote:
>
> Il 07/04/21 15:47, Konstantin Shegunov ha scritto:
>>    It's for Qt 7, I'm afraid. We're bound to an API/ABI compatibility
>>    promise. And not marking things _in code_ but only in docs isn't good
>>    enough.
>> Didn't the powers that be decide that an ABI break is going to happen in 6.2? If so, doesn't this mean, this could be sneaked in then?
>
> Uhm... didn't they decide exactly against this? I might have missed the memo.
>
> Thanks,

You didn’t miss any memo. Konstantin, I wonder (genuinely to see what we can do better to have a discussion about this kind of thing without ending up with FUD spreading) how you got that impression?

The preliminary conclusion on the respective thread is

https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2021-January/040951.html

Shawn has raised QTBUG-90296 as another candidate for a BiC change after that, and while it’s another straw, it’s IMHO not the straw that breaks the proverbial camel’s back (because while not super convenient, this can be done in a QQuickItem::event() override).

Cheers,
Volker