[Development] Deprecated/Obsolete API that survived the transition from Qt 5 to Qt 6

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Thu Apr 8 11:51:11 CEST 2021

> On 8 Apr 2021, at 06:26, Konstantin Shegunov <kshegunov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 4:51 PM Giuseppe D'Angelo <giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com> wrote:
> Uhm... didn't they decide exactly against this? I might have missed the
> memo.
>
> Well, apparently I did.
>
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 5:05 PM Volker Hilsheimer <volker.hilsheimer at qt.io> wrote:
> You didn’t miss any memo. Konstantin, I wonder (genuinely to see what we can do better to have a discussion about this kind of thing without ending up with FUD spreading) how you got that impression?
>
> It wasn't a loaded question, I must simply have remembered incorrectly; I do recall it being discussed.
> On a personal note, I do like the BC promise, and find it rather distasteful to make such a promise, but then brake it a year or so in, even if there may be good reasons to.

Agree completely, and we wouldn’t make such a decision lightly.

We would even have this discussion if the situation wasn’t so that very few Qt projects are expected to try to ship a Qt 6 based version before 6.2. The window of opportunity to make any exception from our BC policy is closed once we ship 6.2.

Cheers,
Volker