[Development] Do we need version tags in released src packages?

Albert Astals Cid albert.astals.cid at kdab.com
Fri Aug 13 09:26:56 CEST 2021

El divendres, 13 d’agost de 2021, a les 9:17:16 (CEST), Jani Heikkinen va
escriure:
> Hi!
>
> We are planning to simplify our packaging and releasing scripts and one
> thing which would simplify our scripts is removal of version tag parsing
> for src (and example) packages. So the question is if we can remove version
> tag (-alpha, -beta1 etc) from our src and exmple packages?

Does this mean that alpha/beta packages would have exactly the same filename as
the final packages?

Cheers,
  Albert

> In my opinion we don't need those; packages are always released in proper
> release folder (like
> https://download.qt.io/development_releases/qt/6.2/6.2.0-beta2/) and so on
> it should be quite obvious in which pre-release packages belongs to.
> Official release are already without any version tag so removing those from
> development releases shouldn't matter either. But does someone disagree and
> if yes why?
>
> br,
> Jani Heikkinen
> Release Manager

Albert Astals Cid | albert.astals.cid at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts